Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 7: The Obsession

Seven days have flown by. I have made some great starts at creating new healthy habits. The most difficult one was giving up my morning Starbucks. When I found out that a venti americano with six pumps of white mocha and cream had something like 600 calories it hit me to the extent to which I have been so unaware. How could I get so fat and not even know it? I look at pictures of myself and don't recognize the fat old lady. I'm not even 30!

I have been noticing, however, that I am getting a little bit obsessed. I think a little too much every time I cook something or put something in my mouth. If this becomes an obsession then it won't stick, I know myself. I'll get bored and move on to something else. Little, sustainable changes I keep telling myself. I have to fight my instincts that want to cut back to 1000 calories a day and exercise for hours at a time because I know that in a month I won't be able to stick with it. I want to change my life forever.

Tonight I made a quite healthy turkey hash with veggies in it. Because I felt guilty about the starchy potatoes and small amount of healthy fats I have been fighting that age-old internal struggle that says 'fuck it, just quit this and go eat some candy.' But I talked my way down from the ledge.

Something miraculous happened today! I found my Get Up Off Your Ass! I woke up early and accomplished more in one day than I have in the past 3 months. I credit the lack of sugar and preservatives with this victory.

Seven down, 93 to go

No comments: